Indianmoney Facebook Indianmoney twitter Indianmoney LinkedIn Indianmoney Google Plus Indianmoney Youtube Indianmoney Instagram Indianmoney Medium

" Gift yourself an income after retirement. "

New Pension Scheme

What is the new pension scheme?

The Government of India launched the new pension scheme on the 1st April 2009.If you are between 18 to 55 years of age, you can subscribe to the new pension scheme.

You have to contribute a minimum amount of INR 6000 per year, which can be paid at once (single installment), or can be paid in installments of at least INR 500 a month.

You can invest any amount in a new pension scheme (no upper limit). Your money is locked (You cannot withdraw the money) until you are 60 years of age.

On retirement (age of 60 years), you get 60% of the amount (Corpus built), as a lump sum. You can also withdraw 60% of the amount in a phased manner (slowly in installments), after 60 years, until you are 70 years of age. You have to compulsorily purchase an immediate annuity plan with 40% of the amount which is left behind.

If you withdraw the money before 60 years you will get only 20% of the corpus (money collected) and you will have to compulsorily take an annuity policy with the remaining 80% of the amount.

If you (policy holder) die before maturity of the policy, your nominee's can withdraw the whole amount at once.

Why invest in the New Pension Scheme ?
Good Retirement

Good Retirement

It helps you set aside money for your retirement. It invests in equity to give you good returns for your retirement.

Lifetime Commitment

Lifetime Commitment

A compulsory investment in annuity means you get a pension even after you retire. This translates to a lifetime commitment.

Good Management

Good Management

Fund managers manage your money invested in equity, ensuring that you get good returns over the long term.

Tax Benefits

Tax Benefits

You get tax deductions on your salary, if you invest in the NPS. The amount accumulated in the NPS is not taxed.

Where to open NPS account?

You can approach the points of presence service providers (POP-SP), where you can invest in the new pension scheme. You have to apply for a permanent retirement account number. (PRAN)

Over 900 Branches of Public and Private sector banks are the main points of presence (POP-SP).You can also open a new pension scheme account at the post office.

How is your money invested in the new pension scheme?

Your money is invested in the new pension scheme under the active choice or the auto choice option.

Active choice

If you choose the active choose option, your money is invested in these 3 asset classes :

Asset Class E : Invests in equity. The investment in equity is of high risk.

Asset Class C : Invests in fixed deposits, public sector bonds, corporate bonds and liquid funds. The investment in fixed income securities is of medium risk.

Asset Class G: An investment in Government Securities. The investment in Government security is very safe.You can choose the proportions to invest in these assets. A maximum of only 50% can be allocated to equity

Auto choice

If you do not opt for the active choice, you are given the default option called the auto choice.

If you are between 18-36 years of age you are automatically assigned 50% in equity (Asset Class E), 30% in fixed deposits, public sector bonds, corporate bonds and liquid funds (Asset Class C) and 20% in Government securities (Asset Class G).

After you complete 36 years of age, the allocation towards highly safe government securities (Asset Class G), goes on increasing and the equity component goes on decreasing. This is necessary to preserve the value of the portfolio (investment).

At 55 years the allocation towards government securities (Asset Class G), is 80% with Asset classes C and E accounting for the remaining 20%.

New Pension Scheme Tax Benefits

You get deduction of INR 1.5 Lakhs under Section 80 CCD which has been raised from the limit of INR 1 Lakh as per the Budget 2015-16.

You get a total deduction under Section 80C, Section 80 CCC and Section 80 CCD combined up to INR 2 Lakhs per year. Your withdrawals from the new pension scheme are taxed under the EET regime. You get tax concessions for your investment and returns (amount your corpus increases), in the new pension scheme plan.

The 60% lump sum at withdrawal (maturity of the scheme), is added to your taxable salary and taxed as per the income tax slab you fall under. The returns from the immediate annuity (pension), are added to your taxable salary and taxed as per the income tax slab you fall under.

Related Articles

15 May 2018, Tuesday

Stocks and Stock Tips.....!!!

  Stock Tips   Stock market is one of the most attractive platforms that help you to multiply your wealth. A beginner can enter into stock market only with the help of an expert because without prior experience one may not be able to understand the market dynamics. The working mec...

15 May 2018, Tuesday

Stock Valuation Technique.....!!! (Fundamental Analysis)

  Fundamental analysis involves examining the economic, financial, qualitative and quantitative factors in order to identify the intrinsic value of a security. It is also known as quantitative analysis. It involves into analyzing financial statements of the company like profit and loss accou...

15 May 2018, Tuesday

An Introduction to Financial System....!!!

  Stock market, GDP, Inflation etc are the different measures which reveal the situation that a country is in at the present time but have you ever wondered what are the different branches whose performance determines all of these. A financial market is the most important factor ...

Most Read Articles

18 July 2012, Wednesday

How to Make Claim on a Life Insurance Policy?

Formalities for a health insurance claim You can make a claim under a Health insurance policy in two ways: On a Cashless basis and A Reimbursement Claim On a Cashless basis: For a claim on cashless basis, your treatment must be only at a network hospital of the Third Party...

14 March 2014, Friday

ELSS - Utilizing the power of compounding

As the name suggests ELSS invests the whole corpus in equities. Proportions as high as 80-90% of equities are found in an ELSS Fund. It is a special kind of mutual fund that qualifies for tax benefits. Basically Equity Linked Savings Scheme is a mutual fund with a lock in period of three years and...

07 January 2014, Tuesday

Why one must never neglect estate planning

One of the most common reason for family feuds in India as in the rest of the World is faulty estate planning. Estate planning is a neglected topic in India mainly because of the emotions attached to it. A common reason people neglect to make a will or indulge in estate planning in their younger yea...

Get It now!

How about our new look!

Mm.. Ok